Friday, August 7, 2009

A Mother's Passing

I spend a good portion of my free writing time online at PanHistoria.com which is a form of Community based upon writing play as it were. The opportunities for both creative writing and social writing are amazing. Once in a while events occur in people’s lives which touch us all, for that is the nature of empathy and friendship.

This morning, a friend’s mother passed on. Though I grieve with her for the loss, I rejoice in the strength and compassion that she shared with me of the love between people.

*****

Because you have shared with us, and with me, I would like to express what that means to me. Though I never met your mother, I too have been touched by the power of the love that you two shared. It is a bond that even in passing can not be broken. I can not understate what a beautiful thing it was that you did for your mother, and in that to know what a beautiful person your mother must have been to have been so well reflected in you. Mere words are all I have… and I give them to you freely in thanks for your sharing of that beauty.

She nurtured in the soft failing light
with dignity and gentle grace
And there in heart she brought forth love
which shone as bright as to displace
the shadows of the coming night.

A touch of sorrow and muted loss,
how empty seems the heart at last
Yet love does yet draw forth the light
for in my heart I hear her laugh
beyond the shadows of the night.

From you who learned the art of love
compassion forged with dignity
Whose strength of love speaks testament
have shared your mother’s love with me
to push against the edge of night.

3 comments:

  1. The poem is beautiful, especially the laughter in the middle of the night. My mother died 16 years ago and will never know her granddaughter, but yesterday my two-year-old told me she loved Grandma Kris. I know that would have made my mother smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I am soryy for the loss of your friends mother.

    Love Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so many things at the same time. My friend is amazing in her compassion and strength.

    ReplyDelete